1. What are GMOs?
Plants or animals that have had their genetic makeup altered to exhibit traits that are not naturally theirs. In general, genes are taken (copied) from one organism that shows a desired trait and transferred into the genetic code of another organism.
-From the glossary on the Monsanto website.
Genetically modified seeds are designed to make the plant more resistant to rain, drought, pests, diseases, etc.
Genetically modified corn, for example, is designed to have a bacterial toxin (Bt) grow inside each corn kernel. This Bt is meant to attack corn’s greatest predator – the corn rootworm. This worm attacks the roots of the corn plant, weakening and killing it.
The Genetically Modified corn is ENGINEERED to produce Bt toxin inside each and every kernel.
2. What’s so bad about them?
Dr. Maxwell reports, "Lurking deep inside a fresh-grilled ear of corn or your favorite soy-based vegetarian dish could be a gut-destroying toxin. It’s called Bt toxin". Some of the side effects associated with ingesting Bt toxins are: severe food alergies, infertility, and cancer.
The Institute for Responsible Technology reports 65 serious health risks associated with GMO crops.
Nearly 300 experts agree GMOs not proven safe and have significant restrictions or been outright banned in over 30 countries across the globe.
3. What are the most common GMO crops?
According to the Just Label It campaign:
- 59% of sugar produced in the US is made from sugar beets and 90% of the beets are genetically engineered
- Over 90% of canola oil is genetically engineered
- 90% of the cotton planted in the US is genetically modified
- 94% of all soybeans planted in the US are genetically modified
- 88% of US Corn is genetically modified
4. Just say NO!
More information on what GMOs are:
- The Good Human: What Are GMOs and Why You Should Avoid Them
- NonGMOProject: About GMOs
- Genetically Modified Organism (wikipedia article): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
WHAT ARE GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS?!
GMO A GO-GO - THE TRUTH ABOUT GMO'S EXPLAINED.
Genetic Roulette (GMO's in our FOOD!)
Food MythBusters Talk About Industrialized Agriculture
Seeds of Freedom (documentary)